Monday, June 14, 2010

Family time





How ironic is it that the place we longed to run away from as a teenager is the place that most of us long to run to as adults.

The reasons for each of us may be different. We might have been running from something, running to something, or simply just running but I’d be willing to bet that most of us (teens) at some point wanted out. I was that teen. I didn’t have a bad home life. On the contrary I was quiet blessed. I had a nice house, food to eat, a bed to sleep in, nice vacations, and most importantly a great family. Yet I can remember countless times when I said the words “I can’t wait to get out of here.” Yet when it came time to go to college I found myself settling on one of the closer schools as opposed to some school across the country that would get me far away from home. Even more shocking was the fact that once I got to college I called home crying because I was homesick. I’m not just talking about that first week or two when all college freshmen feel out of place and long for the comforts of home. No I mean I called home crying pretty much consistently the entire 3 years I was at college. I can’t tell you how many weekends my parents drove up to school to help chase away my feelings of homesickness.

It was in those 3 years that I truly grasped the reality that my family really was and always would be there for me. I’ve said it before on here and I’ll say it again…I have an amazing family. This past weekend I had the pleasure of spending a 4 day weekend with them in the mountains of Tennessee. We spent our days hiking around the Smokey Mountains, eating out, playing putt -putt, enjoying the hot tub and serenity of our cabin, and simply enjoying our time together. Our cabin was without cell service or wireless so we were peacefully disconnected from the world. It was a welcomed break from the busy day-to-day routine we each lead and the time together was amazing.

2 comments:

Megs said...

ash, you are so beautiful in that pic of you and clayton :) miss you!

S-city said...

Family is the BEST! This momma truly enjoyed her time with her family.