Monday, August 4, 2008

Papi



I've said time and time again that there is no rhyme nor reason to the way your heart gets linked to a special little one in this country. I've watched it happen hundreds of times as people and teams come through here. More often than not the kid picks you. You probably didn't see it coming and find it difficult to explain once it does happen. All you do know is some how ... for whatever reason.... God connected your two hearts for life. 
Little Daniela came to Casa last May almost afraid of her own shadow. She hid behind her older sister (Pamela) and for a long time battled with flashbacks from her scarred past. It took her longer than most to settle in here and warm up to all of us. 
However, it wasn't until March when my college friends came down that I truly watched her not only open her heart but latch onto someone. It became a known fact that if you saw Mike Daniela would either be in his arms or following closely behind him. By the end of his 10 days here she was calling him Papi and getting defensive if any of the other kids even tried to get close to him. 
Like I said in my last post Mike flew back with me 2 1/2 weeks ago when I came back. Watching Daniela's eyes dance and the grin on her face grow as she realized that her "Papi" was back brought tears to my eyes. She hadn't just enjoyed having someone to play with for that week in March..... her heart had forever been connected to his and he would forever be her "Papi." 
Since that day Daniela has once again clung to and savored time with Mike. Very rarely do I see him sitting down without her in his lap. Yet I'd be lying if I didn't admit how mutual the bond is. He is as taken with that little girl as she is him. There is no explaining why or how it happened... besides the fact that it was/is a God thing. God knew she needed a male figure in her life to fill that role of Daddy. It has healed her in more ways than even I could have ever imagined. 

No comments: