So we get our milk delivered. That's right a "milkman" comes every Monday morning at 4 a.m. and leaves milk (in a cooler) on the front porch. The milk comes in half gallon glass bottles from a local farm. We have a reoccurring order each week of 3 half gallon 1% milk. Normally, we go through all that in a weeks time. However, for whatever reason this past week we only drank half of that and had quite a bit of milk left. I meant to call yesterday to have them cut back our order but I forgot so this morning, like clock work, 3 half gallons appeared at our doorstep. Sooo we have a significant amount (2 1/2 gallons to be exact) of milk to use up this week. So tonight we had potato soup for dinner and then I made the girls some home made ice cream in a bag for dessert. If you've never made ice cream in a bag you should definitely try it! It is delicious and tastes just like real homemade ice cream. What you'll need
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup milk or half & half
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 tablespoons rock salt or sea salt
- 1 pint-size plastic food storage bag (e.g., Ziploc)
- 1 gallon-size plastic food storage bag
- Ice cubes
How to make it:
- Fill the large bag half full of ice, and add the rock salt. Seal the bag.
- Put milk, vanilla, and sugar into the small bag, and seal it.
- Place the small bag inside the large one, and seal it again carefully.
- Shake until the mixture is ice cream, which takes about 5 minutes.
- Wipe off the top of the small bag, then open it carefully. Enjoy!