Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Happiness

In a world full of depression and grief I can't help but wonder just what it is that makes happiness so hard to find. I recently read this quote by Helen Keller "When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us." It made me wonder if we are living in a depressed world because we can't take our eyes off of those closed doors. How often do we find ourselves standing in front of that closed door trying to figure out a way to open it back up? I know I'm guilty of that at times. My life will be moving along smoothly when out of nowhere something happens. Instead of adjusting and seeing where those changes take me I dwell on what I lost and what it was I had wanted to happen. That is just the thing though I look at a closed door as what I lost instead of what God is doing in my life. In Isaiah 55: 8-9 it says, "For My thoughs are not you thoughts, nor are your ways My ways," says the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts." HE may decide to close a door that YOU'RE sure is the only one that will ever lead to happiness. However, the entire time you are standing there staring at that closed door contemplating attempting to battering it down He is there trying to get your eyes away from the door and back on HIM so that He can show you a new better door to happiness. So instead of being a society full of depression and sadness lets get our eyes off those closed doors and instead look at what God could be trying to show us.

1 comment:

Kelly Hardman said...

Thanks for this great message! I am going to share it with the teens at the Lighthouse.