Friday, March 2, 2007

missionary

So since the beginning of this whole adventure I have had words thrown at me like missionary, missions work, missions trip, or missions. As I began to hear those words more and more I found myself thinking “who me?” Surely they weren't using the word missionary to describe me. How could I be worthy of such a title as missionary? So I began to think just what it meant to be a missionary. I pondered what the word missions really meant. So in my search for answers I turned to handy dandy Mr. Webster. The word missions was defined as "a sending or being sent for some duty or purpose." I began to compare Websters simple definition with the loaded definition we had placed on that word. It was then that I realized how wrong we are with our definition. Being a missionary doesn't have to mean leaving my country and living in a dirt shack to serve a higher purpose. Going on a "missions trip" simply means what it says. You are taking a trip that has a specific mission or goal. That trip could be to another country or another state. However, it could simply be a trip to the next street over or another town close by. No trip is better than another is. It isn't how much you spend to get to that place that is important, it is the work you do once there. The mission or purpose behind your going. So as I began to see those words in a new light I turned then to the word missionary. Webster defines it as "a person who is sent on a mission." Boy was I surprised to find that I really do fall under the category of missionary. Why then do I still cringe when referred to as a "missionary." I guess it would be because I feel as though that word places me in a higher place in the minds of those that are using it. I did not come on this trip for my own personal gratification and I in no way feel that it makes me any better than anyone else. The last thing I want is for people to say “oh yea Ashley Lauer she is really doing what God wants for her life she is a missionary.” I truly am striving to do what God wants me to be doing. However, I would never want people to look at that and think that meant I was better than anyone else. God’s mission for my life simply took me farther from home than the mission of others. That fact does not in any way make me better than those that have found their mission field in their backyard. I was listening to a song the other day that spoke this in better words than I could ever express. It simply said….
On the other side of the world
She stands on the ocean shore
Gazing at the heavens she wonders
Is there something more
Never been told the name of Jesus
She turns and walks away
What a shame

Just across the street in your hometown
Leaving from his nine to five
Gazing down the road he wonders
Is this all there is to life
Never been told the name of Jesus
He continues on his way
What a shame

[Chorus:]
Whom shall I send
Who will go for me
To the ends of the earth
Who will rise up for the King
Here am I send me
Here am I send me

Whether foreign land or neighbors
Everyone's the same
Searching for the answers
That lie within your name
I want to proclaim the love of Jesus
In all I do and say
Unashamed

[Chorus]

[Bridge:]
How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news
Proclaiming peace and your salvation

It reminded me that no matter where we are there are people that need to hear the name of God. I was called to spread His name many miles from home but that isn't any more important than those that stay at home and spread His name daily. We all have a mission for our lives and we should all be living as "missionaries." Some of you may be thinking what not me I would be a terrible missionary. However, remember what the definition was for missionary.."a person who is sent on a mission." God placed us all on this earth with a mission. That mission was to tell others about him. So I challenge you all to live your lives with a mission. I pray my fellow missionaries that you will allow God to use those missions for His good.

No comments: