Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Micah Project

On the second day of our trip we went to the Micah Project. One of the workers at the Micah Project is actually a Malone graduate. Today for whatever reason the Project has been heavy on my heart. I ask that you join me in praying over their ministry. They are doing some incredible things.


One of our team members (Jeb Ford) wrote the following post on his own blog. I loved it so much I decided to re-post it for all of you! Also feel free to check out the Micah Project blog at


http://www.micahcentral.blogspot.com/

http://www.micahcentral.org/


Here are some of my thoughts from day two of my trip to Honduras.

So, day two has pretty much come to a close and it is feels good to sit and relax. Today was a good day. We had a lot of fun and were able to visit a great ministry going on here in the city. We spent most of our day with the missionaries from the Micah Project, who focus their ministry on street kids. These street kids are for the most part homeless, many of them orphaned or from families that are unable to support them.

Glue huffing is a serious issue in the streets of Honduras, as well as throughout the world, especially in developing countries. The street kids huff glue from a coke bottle in order to get a high. They basically stay high all day. Drug addiction is a major problem in all parts of the world, whether it be in the streets of Kenya, or in suburban America. The sad thing about the glue huffing is that it becomes these kids entire lives. I heard someone say that smoking weed steals a person’s dreams, well, I guess you could say that glue huffing steals a person’s ability to make any decisions at all. These kids become enslaved by the desire to get high. The good folks at the Micah Project are working hard to give these children the opportunity to live life. Their mission is to develop relationships with the street kids and eventually bring them off the streets into their home/school where they are able to get the education needed to have a chance to do something with their lives. I loved to see the kids already living in the Micah Project and how happy they were to be there. They even sang us some songs that they wrote themselves.

It was evident that the kids had a relationship with Jesus. You could see it in their actions. You could sense it in their smiles. They were truly being transformed in the image of Christ. Mike Miller, the founder of the Micah Project, said something that many Christians and missionaries need to realize. He said that we cannot save anyone by our own power. Only Christ can save these kids. I think too often we try to “evangelize” others, and we try to do this by our own power. This is not biblical. Our job is to show them the love of Christ. Once I realized that this is not in my control I have been able to focus on what Christ has really called me to do, which is to be a light in a world of darkness. I pray that throughout the rest of the trip I allow Christ’s light to shine through me.

No comments: