Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Doubting Ashley

John 20:24 "Now Thomas one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, 'We have seen the Lord!' But he said to them, 'Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my fingers where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it.' A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, 'Peace be with you!' Then he said to Thomas, 'Put your finger here; see my hands, Reach out your hand and put it into my side, Stop doubting and believe.' Thomas said to him, 'My Lord and my God!' Then Jesus told him, 'Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.'"

I recently read this passage and it really stuck with me. If you are like me you are more like Thomas than you want to admit. We are ok with believing in Jesus but we want some kind of sign or miracle. We want/need Him to PROVE himself to us.

Far too often I walk through life questioning Jesus' presence. I'll go to make a decision and BEG Him to show me what to do yet when His answer comes I doubt whether it is truly from Him or not. I demand big flashy answers......yet I know perfectly well that I serve a God who speaks just as often in a still small voice as He does in neon lights. So why oh why do I give way to my feelings of doubt. Why is it so hard for me to simply believe without seeing???

I pray that I can become one of those blessed people Jesus talks about who truly can believe without seeing. I challenge each of you to do the same.


No comments: