Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A new look on Matthew 25:35

One of my friends posted this quote a few weeks ago. I liked it so much that I promptly got online and purchased the book: The Hole In Our Gospel by Richard Stearns.


For I was hungry, while you had all you needed. I was thirsty, but you drank bottled water. I was a stranger, and you wanted me deported. I needed clothes, but you needed more clothes. I was sick, and you pointed out the behaviors that led to my sickness. I was in prison, and you said I was getting what I deserved. (RESV - Richard E. Stearns Version)

What a powerful quote. That passage (Matthew 25:35) has always been one of my favorite passages in the bible. However, Richard Stearn presents it in a completely new and powerful way. Maybe its just me but it resonates deep into those selfish and self-centered places of my heart. I think if we are being honest with ourselves and each other we have to admit that these words were written to each of us personally.


I hope that these words reach you today in the way that they have reached me.

No comments: