Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Honor and Privilege

It is my honor and privilege to get to do ministry with Mike...for those of you who have read my blog over the years you've watched Mike and I lead several teams together. I met Mike almost 4 1/2 years ago when I started college at Malone. He was transferring in when I started as a freshman. We hung out frequently in the same circle of friends. However, when I moved to Honduras we lost touch and it wasn't until March of 2008 when we truly reconnected. He and 7 of our other friends came down to spend their spring break serving in Honduras. By the time they went home Mike had fallen head over heels for a little girl named Daniela and God had placed a call on Mike's heart for Honduras. Before the plane even reached Ohio I think Mike had started planning his return trip....and return he did. He flew into Honduras in August to stay for 3 months and proceeded to spend as much time there as he spent in the states. He became known as "Papi" to many of the kids at the orphanage...especially his little Daniela. Since my move back to the states Mike and I have led several college age teams back down. I honestly couldn't do what I do without him. In moments when I stress and get upset he stays calm and works out the problem. He is my cheerleader, my confidant, my voice of reason, my common sense, and so much more. He has one of the most amazing servant hearts I've ever seen and his love for kids just over flows when he is there. I am truly honored to call him my friend and partner in all this. I'm blessed that God brought him to Honduras 3 years ago and allowed us to rekindle a friendship that would bring us closer than I could have ever imagined. Mike now plays the role of big brother in my life. Growing up with one sister I have never known what it is like to have a brother....but lucky for me God decided it was time I had one. :) I get to play the role of pesky little sister and know what it is like to have a protective older brother. So, Mike, If you are reading this....know that I'm thankful for you today and the heart that God has placed within you.



1 comment:

Vicky said...

"What a wonderful blog," says the proud Mom and "Momma" of you both!!! God doesn't make mistakes when He brings people together!!! Love you, Ashley!!! Momma Vicky