Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Shine on....

I'm sure most of you have heard the ever popular children's song "This Little Light of Mine."

This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine.
This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine.
This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine,
let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.

Won't let Satan blow it out, I'm going to let it shine.
Won't let Satan blow it out, I'm going to let it shine.
Won't let Satan blow it out, I'm going to let it shine,
let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.

Hide it under a bushel, No! I'm going to let it shine.
Hide it under a bushel, No! I'm going to let it shine.
Hide it under a bushel, No! I'm going to let it shine,
let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.

This is yet another song our kiddos sing each morning at devotional. A few months ago Karen decided to teach them the words and we were pleasantly surprised when they knew the song in Spanish. It has become a very frequently sung song in our house. (in both languages) We've even added verses like "All around the school, I'm going to let it shine." or "All around Santa Ana (our village) I'm going to let it shine." We are trying to teach them through song that it is important to ALWAYS be a light for Christ no matter where we are.

Just recently I connected with a young lady (Aimee) who flew into Honduras yesterday and will be staying for the next 4 months or so. She isn't working with Casa or Torch but instead with an organization in Choluteca. However, a mutual friend connected us in hopes that we could be an encouragement to one another while in this country. During our e mailing back and forth Aimee finished off one of her e mails by saying that she felt blessed to be able to come here and be a light to the people here.

Her simple words humbled this heart in huge ways. By now you all know my heart... you know that I LOVE being here... love these people, love this country, and definitely love these kiddos. But how long has it been since I thought of it as a privilege or a blessing to get to shine for Christ to the people of this country?

I've been continuing to dive into the gospels and right below the Matthew 5 verses I spoke of before came this verse.....

"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on a stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." -- Matthew 5:14-16

Seems like everything in my life from the kids to random new friends to where God is leading me in the bible are all trying to remind me of the same message. I AM called to be a light for Christ and no matter if I'm walking around Santa Ana, interacting with the people of this country, or simply sitting at home hanging out with friends I am supposed to shine for Him. It is my privilege and a blessing.

No comments: