Thursday, June 17, 2010

Mark 12:41-44

Our theme passage is Mark 12:41-44, “Jesus was sitting in the temple near the offering box and watching people put in their gifts. He noticed that many rich people were giving a lot of money. Finally, a poor widow came up and put in two coins that were worth only a few pennies. Jesus told his disciples to gather around him. Then he said: I tell you that this poor widow had put in more than all the others. Everyone else gave what they didn’t need. But she is very poor and gave everything she had. Now she doesn’t have a cent to live on.”

I admit this is an unusual passage to use for a mission trip. However, it is a passage that has been convicting me lately in my own personal life. I certainly fall in the “rich person” category of this story. Not only because of my financial status and the privileged life I have led but also because of my attitude of giving. I am ashamed to admit that I’ve given what I could instead of giving it all and trusting that God would take care of me.

This trip our “theme” is going to be giving until it hurts. I want our team to be like the women in this story. I want them to give everything they have. They’ve already had to sacrifice time, money, and energy preparing to go on the trip. However, my prayer for us is that we would come home completely exhausted because we truly left every last bit of our love, sweat, energy, emotion, etc in Honduras. I hope we can each say we gave ALL of ourselves for the people of Honduras.

No comments: