Thursday, August 28, 2008

Take the good with the bad

So I have good news and bad news... the good news is MY LICE IS GONE! woot woot. Dilcia checked my head today can gave me a clean report. (pun intended) However, the bad news is that although I'm no longer itching because of lice.... I'm now itching because I have scabies or some scabies like rash funk going on. Our kids have all gotten some kind of a fungus from Rosita but Dilcia claims my junk looks different. The other day while in the mountain village I held a baby that we discovered had Scabies. Jen and Sam took the baby to the doctor to get cream to heal it but I had already loved all over the little guy. So... I'm not 100% sure what it is .... but whatever it is needs to go away. 

For those of you who know little about Scabies let me enlighten you on what Wikipedia had to say... 

Scabies is caused by the mite Sarcoptes scabiei, variety hominis, as shown by the Italian biologist Diacinto Cestoni in the 18th century. It produces intense, itchy skin rashes when the impregnated female tunnels into the stratum corneum of the skin and deposits eggs in the burrow. The larvae, which hatch in 3-10 days, move about on the skin, molt into a "nymphal" stage, and then mature into adult mites. The adult mites live 3-4 weeks in the host's skin. The action of the mites moving within the host's skin and on the skin itself produces an intense itch which may resemble anallergic reaction in appearance. The presence of the eggs produces a massive allergic response which, in turn, produces more itching."

Sounds fun huh? My favorite part is that they refer to me (or others who have scabies) as "the host." As if I invited these little guys in for dinner and am enjoying their company! I mean really! So yea .... I'm done with the lice but I've moved onto something even better! I've become so desperate to be done with the pain and itching that I willing rubbed a plant all over my body tonight before showering.... all because one of our Honduran workers promised it was a sure proof way to get rid of it. That was a good 6 hours ago and I STILL AM NOT SEEING ANY RESULTS! Heck!

No comments: